Saturday, March 07, 2020

The civilised cannibals - or invitation only!

"A feast by invitation only"
Which only the best ghouls attend
It starts with what's called 'minestrone'
But actually, is someone's friend.
For it is quite a ghoulish coup,
To serve a soup that's known to you!

For "taste in friends, is taste in flesh"
At least ghouls say so, and they'd know.
I find the idea makes me nesh,
I'm in two minds if I should go.
But then they serve delightful pottage,
Of fresh-caught tourists from "the cottage".

And mixed into a rustic stew
Vegans and flash-fried vegetarians
So ghouls who take a greener view,
Of beast-killers as mere barbarians,
May avoid nature's cruel plan
And dine on a more ethical man.

And really, have I so few friends
There isn't even one to spare?
A critic (say) for gastric ends,
May well increase the savoir faire!
But oh, a sudden thought has struck me -
I'll need a suit to bib and tuck me!

That's an expense I well could skip
We meagre poets aren't enriched.
If there's a cost to such a trip
The idea may have to be ditched.
What's that? - they say they'll pay my fare
Why that is handsome, I declare!

***

So thus he mused, and in his book
Recorded the grand invitation.
He should have had a second look,
Read the small print of celebration!
For his best friend was honoured by it,
And 'meagre poet soup'? Just try it!






No comments: