Thursday, October 28, 2010

Response Poem: The Lesser Moon

I am the Great Sun

from a normandy crucifix of 1632
by charles causley.

i am the great sun,but you do not see me,
i am your husband, but you turn away.
i am the captive, but you do not free me,
i am the captain but you will not obey.

i am the truth, but you will not believe me,
i am the city where you will not stay.
i am your wife,your child,but you will leave me,
i am that god to whom you will not pray.

i am your counsel, but you will not hear me,
i am your lover whom you will betray.
i am the victor,but you do not cheer me,
i am the holy dove whom you will slay.

i am your life,but if you will not name me,
seal up your soul with tears, and never blame me.


I am the Lesser Moon
By Simon Bucher-Jones

I’m not the great sun, but reflect the same,
I am the compromise, the “it’s alright”.
I am the player who’s “okay” at the game,
I am the pallid virtues of half-light.

I am the white lie, and the gray statistic,
I am the layby where men stop to piss.
I am the step child, sullen or sadistic
I am the second-rate, the near miss.

I am your fall back choice, your “might as well”
I am your love whom now you barely like.
I am the phyrric victory, the broken shell,
I am the dove who poohed upon your bike.

I am your muddling though, but if you will not own me,
that’s quite all right, my advise is, disown me.

(In every way that counts, the great sun’s better
Unless it’s that “I” use a capital letter)

No comments: